Monday, March 30, 2009

How do I stop my cat from waking everyone in the morning?

I love my cat, "Binks", he's a sweetheart. He protects my daughter like a dog would and he's like a little soul mate to me but every morning between 5 and 7 a.m. he comes scratching and meowing loudly at my door. If I let him in, he climbs on everything and meows at every corner of the room.


I wait till 7 or 8 to feed them (I have 2 but the other waits patiently for us to get up). Even if I feed him early, he still continues to do the same thing. We've tried the spray bottle with water and some vinegar but it turns into a game of chase. As soon as he wakes everyone, he goes to sleep. How can I change this cycle so everyone can sleep peacefully?



Unfortunately cats are naturally most active at dawn and dusk, and don't read clocks...





This is something most owners learn to live with! I had some success teaching my old girl I wouldn't get up until she lay down and was calm (basically she already knew what 'settle down' meant. I'd tell her to do that. If she went to leap on the furniture as I got up (pulling books off shelves being one of her attention seeking habits), I'd get back into bed). Other people choose not to allow them in the bedroom: though I also know someone who used to have 3 scratching posts lined up outside the bedroom door to stop the carpet being torn up!





I wouldn't do anything like spraying: he's trying to get your attention, and that tells him he's managed to, even if it is in a negative way!




My cat does the same thing. I've learned he either wants to be fed or go outside. I think cats tend to like the mornings, a natural thing. I usually ignore his meows and go back to sleep, feed him, or let him outside. It's hard but, I've learned to fall back asleep. I know this may not help with your problem but, I have the same problem, and there are just so much you can do.




Not much you can do. We have a stray we've tamed, but the problem is that she loves attention, and she is SO loud. Especially in the night. So every night we have to put her outside. Unlike our other cats, if she wants in, SHE WANTS IN, so she'll meow so loudly at the front door it wakes us up when we're upstairs, with our doors closed.




Don't think you can. My cat bites my eyelid to make me wake up. If the cat wants you awake your'e gonna be awake.




I don't know but if you find out please let me know! I've tried feeding my cat late at night, playing with him more through the day to tire him out, earplugs, ignoring him....nothing works :(




Maybee he just wants attention. Try ignoring him every morning until It's time to feed him and he might go like a kid and start to stop a lost cause.


You could get a cat door unless you live in an apartment, or get a feeder with a timer. Having the extra options could distract him.


Just spray him when he's being annoying, don't bother chasing him. The bottle is for the sound as well as the spray.


I'm only 13 but have read tons on cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment