Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Is it normal for a dog to have back dew claws?

I bought a purebred beagle, and the puppy I chose (not knowing it at the time) has back dew claws. Looking at the pictures I recieved from the breeder, that puppy is the only one with back dew claws. Is it normal for a beagle to have them, and/or be the only one out of the litter to have them? Why do some dogs get back ones? Thanks in advance!



Rear dewclaws are a form of polydactyly - as if you had 6 fingers or toes. Wild canids do not have them, but they do crop up in domestic dogs from time to time. In some breeds they are required as part of the breed standard - Pyrs must have double rear dewclaws, the equivalent of you having 7 toes. In a Beagle they are not the norm but they shouldn't be a problem unless they are excessively large or stick out far from the leg. In that case they could catch on something and cause a leg injury. If they are tight against the leg I'd just leave them and consider it an interesting quirk! But if the vet thinks they do run a risk of catching on something have them removed at the same time the neuter is done. That way it's just one recovery period for both.




I don't have first hand knowledge of Beagles/rear dewclaws, but it's most unusual in Bassets!! In fact in all my years/litters, I've never had one puppy with them. I know it's more common in some breeds, but basically I'd say it's not that normal. And I think I'd be speaking to my vet about having them removed, late as it is because they should be taken off within days of birth ideally, if they are to be removed. Dew claw injuries in adults are not nice and I think, in this breed, knowing how active they are, they do need to come off. I would also speak to his breeder because she should have known, and done something about having them removed early days.




I don't know about beagles but certain breeds do have rear dew claws such as Great Pyrenees dogs it has to do with where they originated from, great pyranees are rock/mountain dogs and needed the rear dew claw to help them climb and navigate the rocks. I have a friend with a pit mix and she has rear dew claws.





I would research beagles and find out if dew claws are removed as a breed standard like Weimaraners are. As for the rear I couldn't tell you.




My puppy is a beagle and shar-pei mix and doesn't have dew claws on front or back. I'm not sure if she did when she was born or not because a lot the time dew claws are removed for appearance. It just depends on the breed whether or not they get dew claws or not and depends on the breeder or owner whether they keep them or not.




A lot of dogs are born with them but most breeders or sellers have them removed. They can easily be removed when your dog gets spayed or neutered.





Most people get them taken off for safety as the back ones tend to stick out more and can be injured or even ripped off if they are running and step on something and get caught.




In some breeds it is not only normal, it is required. I have a little mutt that was the only one in the litter with back dews. I had them removed when he was neutered. It would be a good idea if you did the same.




Lots of dogs have the back dewclaws. The breeder should have had them removed when the pup was 2-3 days old. It will now cost you upwards of $300.00 to have them removed. The breeder should help with this expense.




Some dogs have them, some don't. You can always have them removed but it's really not a big deal. There is nothing wrong with your puppy. Good luck on your new best friend!




Yes, its normal. However, responsible breeders generally remove them a few days after birth unless the dog is from a breed that requires they are present (Beagles NOT being one of those breeds).




I am pretty sure that maost dogs have them, but they are usually removed by the breeder/seller. I think it is a easy operation and can be taken care of.




some breeds to have dew claws on the hind legs. you should ask your breeder. they should be knowledgeable on the puppy they sold you.




Yes, this is normal.




I've never seen that before




I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER SEEN A DOG WITH BACK DEW CLAWS....EVER....THIS IS NOT NORMAL BUT JUST AS IN HUMANS,SOMETIMES ODD THINGS HAPPEN.

1 comment: