Monday, March 30, 2009

Is it okay to give cats worm medicine without going to the vet?

I found 3 cats outside a while back. I cannot take them in (I have 5 already indoors) and I couldn't give them away, no one wanted them. The pound here is cruel to animals to say the least. One of my 5 indoors I rescued from those terrible people. So I'm not bringing them there.





ANYWAY, I want to be sure they do not have worms and was thinking of getting an over the counter medicine to give them. They eat alot, but are kinda skinny/average. They eat as much as my indoor cats but are still smaller in wieght. I can't afford to take them to the vet because of all my other pets are expensive and my hubby and I are budgetting, but I want to be sure they are healthy. What should I do?



Yes it is okay, and certainly preferable to not treating them at all -- go to a pet store (not Walmarts) and get their suggestions for an all-purpose dewormer (remember, a second treatment is needed two weeks later). You will want to deal with tapeworms and ringworms. There are a few strays that I give general OTC dewormers.




No - take the cats to the vet to get proper treatment for the type of worms they may have. OTC wormers are usually bad - you can easily overdose your cats or they don't work.




you can get worming tablets from a pet store




Ringworm is a fungal infection and not a worm!! It is unlikey that worms are bothering any of these outside cats. Tapeworms are passive feeders and don't usually cause problems unless the cats have a heavy load. OTC worming medications have little effect on tapes, they are more for rounds, whips and hooks. You can order Droncit online and this is the best med for tapes. Be aware that they will continue to get tapes because they are transmitted by fleas and outdoor cats will always have fleas unless you are treating them with Frontline or Advantage. These cats may be leaner than your indoor kitties because they get way more exercise.




yes you could get an over the counter worming tablet but are you sure they are stray cats and not doing as cats do wondering could be worth puting up posters etc just to cheack or are your cats girls i am afraid toms will hang around 4 ages lol

No comments:

Post a Comment